For coffee lovers

Knowing that Mexico produces some of the best coffee even before I came here, I was surprised to find out that very few Mexicans are real fans of this beverage! And between those that they are, they usually drink their coffee at night(!) accompanied with a sweet bread, and even between those, they usually drink instant coffee.

Exception to the above is cafe de olla, a traditional preparation where coffee beans are boiled in a pot and depending the region aromatics like cinnamon and piloncillo are added. It is always served in a clay cup.

For me good black filtered coffee, that here they call it americano is always part of my getting up in the morning ritual, in fact I never leave the house without one. Also I often seek one after the main meal of the day.

Fortunately many regions produce excellent coffee and one can find great variety. Chiapas, Oaxaca, Veracruz and Puebla are the states with major production, but you can find local farms on highlands of other states. There are also many organic farms.

Want a cup?




Comments